We don’t like single-use plastics here at the Jersey Shore. We’re constantly working on ways to reduce the amount used along our beautiful stretch of coastline. It’s why we fully embraced the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program that Surfrider has put together. Below are the current restaurants that have qualified as Ocean Friendly Restaurants in New Jersey:
There are more OFR’s in Atlantic and Cape May counties listed with the South Jersey Chapter of Surfrider Foundation here.
So how can your restaurant join the ranks of these environmentally friendly restaurants? All it takes is a few simple changes to how you do business.
There are five criteria that your shop or restaurant must meet:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam)
- Proper recycling practices are followed
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request
Then, you must choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances
If you’re interested in becoming an Ocean Friendly Restaurant, please contact us today.