We don’t like single-use plastics here at the Jersey Shore. We’re constantly working on ways to reduce the amount used along our beautiful stretch of coastline. It’s why we fully embraced the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program that Surfrider has put together. Below are the current restaurants that have qualified as Ocean Friendly Restaurants in New Jersey:
There are more OFR’s in Atlantic and Cape May counties listed with the South Jersey Chapter of Surfrider Foundation here.
So how can your restaurant join the ranks of these environmentally friendly restaurants? All it takes is a few simple changes to how you do business.
Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable foodware is used for onsite dining.*
- No plastic bags offered with take out or to-go orders and utensils are provided only upon request.
- Paper straws are provided only upon request.**
* Foodware includes dinnerware, drinkware, silverware, and ramekins/containers.
** Exceptions may be made for alternatives made from other naturally occurring materials and reusables.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages are sold in plastic bottles.
- A discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, container, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis.
- All seafood is ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch, or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation and pollution mitigation efforts are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.
Interested in becoming a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member? Please contact us today.
Check out this Quick Guide for Restaurants for ways to meet each of the criteria.