A core group of volunteers here at the Jersey Shore Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation has been working diligently to get our Ocean Friendly Restaurants program off and running!
We want to spread the word to not only thank the volunteers and restaurant owners for the great things they are doing in our area, but to also bring the program to the forefront so that other businesses can see how to successfully enact sustainable business practices. In doing so, we will have created a grassroots solution to many of our region’s pollution and water resource issues.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants (OFR) aims to work with restaurants to institute self-regulated ocean friendly practices that reduce disposable plastic waste, which sometimes ends up on our beaches.
Currently, The Chapter has certified seven restaurants so far, which are listed below:
Potbelly’s Riverside Cafe, Rockaway
Langosta Lounge, Asbury Park
Pop’s Garage, Asbury Park
Asbury Park Yacht Club, Asbury Park
Whats your Beef?, Rumson
Labrador Lounge, Normandy Beach
Main Street Kitchen, Manasquan
To learn more about our OFR program, click here.
To be certified as an OFR and get these benefits, your restaurant must meet specific requirements.
Restaurants participating in the OFR Program MUST follow these criteria:
1. No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
2. Proper recycling practices are followed.
3. Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request.
4. No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
And choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
5. Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
6. No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
7. Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
8. Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be
a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch.
9. Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
10. Energy efficiency efforts are implemented such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
Would you like to become a Ocean Friendly Restaurant?
If so, please email Secretary@jerseyshore.surfrider.org